Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Stuffed Pepper Stoup

My husband and I are huge pepper fans! Especially Stuffed Peppers!!!!This was my 2nd time making this recipe and it was just as yummy as the first time! Perfect for the Fall as a Hearty Comfort Food! The recipes calls for 1 quart of chicken stock but play with the recipe to make the soup thicker or a little more watered down. The first time I made it I used the entire quart of chicken stock, now this 2nd time I only used about 3/4 of the quart to give it more of a thicker stoup like taste and it was great. The recipe also calls for 1/2 teaspoon of all-spice which i omitted the 2nd time around and I think I enjoyed it more. This time around, Instead of using just green peppers, I used red, yellow and a green pepper. It gave the soup some nice color and is also a little easier on the stomach :-) A nice cheese flavored bread is great to enjoy on the side of this - Asiago is one of my favorites. Enjoy!!!


Recipe from Rachel Ray

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)

1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin

Salt and Black Pepper

1/2 teaspoon allspice (eyeball it)

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 large onion, cut into bite-sized pieces

3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces

1 bay leaf

1 quart chicken stock

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 cup orzo pasta

12-15 basil leaves, shredded or torn

Grated Parmigiano Reggiano, to pass at table


Preparation

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. When oil is hot, add beef and season with salt, black pepper and all spice. Brown the meat, about 5 minutes, then add garlic, onions, peppers and bay leaf, and cook 7-8 minutes, until veggies are tender.

Stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.

Then add pasta and cook to al dente, 7-8 minutes.

Turn off heat and fold in the basil.

Serve in shallow bowls with grated cheese on top.


Yields 4 Servings













1 comment:

HDxNxJ said...

This looks really good and simple.
I cant wait to try it on a cold night! It looks like it would be good re-heated too, I love roasted peppers.
Yum!